• FAQs


    Q: I am a minor (under 18 years old). Do I need parental consent to be seen at UHS?

    A: Please see Consent for Treatment of a Minor for more information. 

    Q: If I need condoms, where can I get them for free?

    A: Free condoms are available at University Health Service. They are located in the restrooms and at the check-in desk on the second floor. Students may also obtain free condoms at the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department. 

    Q: Can I get a doctor's excuse if I missed one of my classes?

    A: Please see our Class Attendance Policies for more information is provided. 

    Q: I am a BCTC student. Can I get an appointment at University Health Service?

    A: Students who attend BCTC are eligible to be seen at UHS under these guidelines:

    • Participating and eligible campuses include: Cooper, Winchester, and Regency only.
    • Any BCTC student attending any of these campuses can be seen on a fee-for-service basis (charges range depending on the visit type).
    • Any BCTC student who is enrolled in at least six hours of traditional in-classroom hours may purchase the Health Fee [MAS1] for that semester, which would cover the cost of unlimited visits at UHS.
    • BCTC students who are interested in purchasing the Health Fee may do so online at the E-Store at https://iweb.uky.edu/ukestore/ .
    • Students who are enrolled strictly in correspondence courses are ineligible to purchase the Health Fee and cannot be seen at UHS.
    • BCTC students must present a current BCTC ID at time of visit.

    Q: Will my parents be notified of my treatment/visits?

    A: All visits to UHS are confidential per HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines. Your parents will not be notified when you visit UHS. This may change, however, if you have procedures that are not covered by the Health Fee and must be covered by your health insurance. If you are on your parents’ insurance, there is the possibility that your parents will see any services that are provided and are covered through your insurance. You can speak to your UHS clinician, as well as your insurance company, for more information. 

    Q: How do I get copies of my medical records?

    A: Visit our Medical Records Page for more information. 

    Q: Do my parents have access to my medical records?

    No. UHS is required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to protect the confidentiality of your medical and billing information. Your medical record contains your personal health history. This record is kept confidential and is not released to anyone without your written consent, except in compliance with state and federal laws (i.e., subpoena, court order, health department reporting requirements, etc.). In order to insure we are doing our best to protect your privacy, all medical and billing information will be sent directly to the address you provide. 

    Q: How do I get to UHS?

    A: Get directions to UHS >  

    Q: What bus routes go to UHS?

    A: Please visit the Parking and Transportation Web site for more information

  • Payment

    Q: What forms of payment do you accept for services not covered by the Health Fee?

    A: We accept cash, check, debit card, Plus card and credit card (Master Card and Visa only). 

    Q: How much time do I have to pay my bill?

    A: Some services, such as immunizations, must be paid in full before care is rendered. Other services may be billed directly to the patient. If payment cannot be made on the day of your visit to University Health Service, full payment is expected within 60 days. Students who do not pay their balance in full after 60 days are delinquent to the University of Kentucky and may have a hold placed on their student record. Students who need additional time to resolve an outstanding balance should contact our billing office at 859-323-5823 ext 8-3204 for assistance. 

    Q: How much are fee-for-service visits?

    A: Fee-for-service visits start at $81.00 and go up, depending on the reason for your visit. Additional charges will be incurred if lab tests, X-rays, immunizations or special procedures are necessary. 

  • Coverage/Health Fee

    Q: What does the University Health Service Health Fee cover?

    A: The Health Fee covers unlimited office visits for:

    Primary care visits for injury or illness.

    Gynecology/Genitourinary care (GYN/GU).

    Behavioral health.

    Health education and wellness services, including:

    • Nutrition counseling.
    • Tobacco treatment counseling.
    • Sexual health education sessions.

    Well-patient, travel and employment physical exams

    Allergy injections.

    Phone Information Nurse.

    Observation Room care.

    On-call physician for after-hours advice.

    Limited medications (four OTC meds, six antibiotics).

    Some STI lab testing.

    CLIA waived in office tests (except rapid flu).

    Please contact 859-218-3225 for questions regarding Health Fee status.

    Q: What is the procedure for part-time students who want to pay the Health Fee?

    A: Part-time students may elect to pre-pay the Health Fee to entitle them to receive the same covered benefits as full-time students, or they may use UHS on a fee-for-service basis. Part-time UK students may pay the Health Fee at the Student Billing Office in the Funkhouser Building. 

    Q: Am I eligible to be seen at UHS if I graduate?

    A: Students who have graduated and have a record on file are eligible to be seen at UHS on a fee-for-service basis for one semester following graduation (e.g., students who graduate in the spring may be seen during the following summer months; students who graduate in August may be seen during the following fall semester; students who graduate in December may be seen during the following spring semester). During this period, former students should arrange to have their medical records transferred to their new physician. 

    Q: Am I eligible to be seen at UHS if I sit out a semester or more?

    A: Continuing students (students who are not currently enrolled but were enrolled the entire previous semester and intend to enroll the following semester) are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis. 

    Q: Can I have my Health Fee waived if I have my own insurance?

    A: No, the Health Fee cannot be waived. The Health Fee is mandatory for all full-time UK students and is recommended for all part-time students. The fee supports a broad spectrum of services, including public health activities carried out by UHS for both routine and emergency public health functions. In many ways, UHS acts as the health department for the University, providing health education on campus, offering immunizations, sponsoring flu vaccine campaigns, advising the administration on health matters and working to prevent outbreaks of disease within the campus community. UHS also provides a wide range of medical services at no additional cost to the student. 

    Q: Am I covered by the Health Fee during the summer?

    A: UHS is available for health care during the summer. There are a few programs that have year round Health Fee coverage (medical school, dental school, PT, MBA, and PA programs), but most students are not covered by the Health Fee during the summer. Students who are registered for classes the following semester may voluntarily pay the Health Fee in the summer to continue receiving free or discounted services, or they may pay on a fee-for-service basis. (Note: it’s often more economical to pay the Health Fee over the summer, so it is encouraged, but not required).

    Q: Can my spouse who does not attend UK be seen at UHS?

    A: Spouses of all eligible students who are not students themselves are welcome to receive their primary care at UHS on a fee-for-service basis, except for Behavioral Health visits. They are charged for all services rendered and must bring their spouse's student ID to receive treatment. 

    Q: If I'm a UK student, can my young children be seen at UHS?

    A: No. UHS does not treat children of students. You may wish to make an appointment with UK Pediatrics at 859-323-5481 or UK Family Practice at 859-323-6711. 

  • Services

    Q: Does University Health Service (UHS) offer testing for sexually transmitted infections(STIs)?

    A: Yes. If you think you may be infected with an STI, you can come to UHS for testing. Testing for many STIs is included in the Health Fee. To speak to a health nurse about STI testing, please call 859-323-2778 (APPT) or go online to schedule an appointment.

    Q: Does UHS offer pregnancy testing?

    A: Yes. To make an appointment for a urine pregnancy test or to talk with a UHS health care provider, you may call 859-323-2778 (APPT). You can also call the health and wellness nurse at 859-323-5823 ext 8-3264 with any questions. 

    Q: Does UHS offer vaccinations?

    A: UHS offers all of the recommended vaccinations for students at a discounted price for students who have paid the Health Fee. The following vaccines can be administered at UHS: 

    • Measles 
    • Mumps 
    • Rubella 
    • Polio 
    • Varicella 
    • Td (Tetanus/diphtheria)
    • TdaP (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis)
    • Hepatitis A and B 
    • Meningococcal Meningitis (both the Conjugate vaccine and the new Serotype B vaccine are available)
    • HPV vaccine 
    • Travel vaccinations including but not limited to yellow fever, typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, etc.
    • Other vaccines including pneumococcus, rabies and flu

    Q: Does UHS offer flu shots?

    A: Yes, at a discounted price for students. We offer flu shots each year in October unless there is a shortage of flu vaccine. Watch for flu shot information on Facebook , Twitter , and other media outlets starting in October or you may call UHS at 859-323-5823 for more information. 

    Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/uhspaws
    Like us on Facebook:

    Q: Will UHS fax/mail any lab results to my doctor at home?

    A: You can schedule an appointment at UHS to discuss your illness, diagnostic tests and having results sent to your own physician.

    Q: I am a diabetic. Does UHS provide a container for disposal of needles?

    A: Yes. Schedule a nursing appointment to pick up the container for disposal of syringes and needles. When the container is full, bring it back to UHS to be exchanged for a new one. Call 323-APPT (2778) and ask for a nursing appointment. 

    Q: Can I continue to self-administer my allergy shots while I am living in the residence hall?

    A: We prefer that you schedule a nursing appointment at UHS to receive your allergy injections. Your antigen can be stored in the refrigerator in our allergy injection room. Severe reactions can occur without warning after an allergy injection. If you are not in a medical facility at the time of a reaction, treatment may be dangerously delayed. 

  • Appointments

    Q: How do I make an appointment?

    A: Call 859-323-2778 (APPT) between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday to schedule an appointment for primary care, women's health, nursing or health education. You can also schedule an appointment online (PDF, 267 KB).
    *NOTE: Some appointment times are not available for online scheduling; calling to schedule will give you the option of additional appointment times.

    • You can schedule an allergy shot appointment online by following these instructions (PDF, 258 KB). 
    • Please note that on Thursdays, check-in and the first appointments do not begin until 8:40 a.m. 

    Q: How do I make an appointment for behavioral health?

    A: Call 859-323-5511 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday to schedule a behavioral health appointment. You can only schedule online for a follow-up appointment with the same clinician you saw for your initial visit. Follow these instructions to schedule a follow-up appointment online (PDF, 254 KB).
    *NOTE: Some appointment times are not available for online scheduling; calling to schedule will give you the option of additional appointment times.

    Q: What if I need to cancel or reschedule my appointment?

    A: Call 859-323-APPT (2778) to give notice that you will not be able to make your appointment and reschedule if possible. 

    • To cancel or reschedule a behavioral health appointment, call 859-323-5511. Note: If you do not call within 24 hours and do not show for your behavioral health appointment there may be a $10 fee charged to your account. 

    Q: What should I bring to my appointment?

    A: Please bring the following to your appointment:

    • Your student ID (to every appointment, every time).
    • Your insurance cards (to every appointment every time).
    • Money or some form of a payment. (The Health Fee only covers your visit; therefore if you get a prescription or need an appliance, such as crutches, you will be expected to pay for that).
    • Outside records if you are following up here for something that was initially treated elsewhere. 
    • Immunization records if you are coming in for a nursing appointment (you can email your immunization records as an attachment to uhsmedicalrecords@uky.edu with the subject line “Immunization Records/(your major, or what you are studying at UK”).

    Q: Are there walk-in appointments?

    A: Walk-in appointments are online available during Saturday morning clinic from 9-11 a.m. During all other clinic times, appointments are recommended and they can be made by calling 859-323-2778 (APPT) or scheduled online. If it appears that all appointments are booked, students can call the Phone Information Nurse at 859-323-4636 to see their options for appointment availability.

    Reasons to be seen in Saturday clinic include, but are not limited to: 

    • Congestion, cough, sore throat, fever or GI problems. 
    • Follow-ups, earaches, headaches and upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms. 

    Reasons that one CANNOT be seen in Saturday clinic include, but are not limited to: 

    • Women's health/gynecology. 
    • Injury. 
    • Dermatology. 

    Q: How do I schedule an appointment to get birth control?

    A: "I’ve never been on birth control (pills, patch, ring, shot) or have never had a gynecological exam.” Please call 859-323-2778 and first schedule an appointment for a Sexual Health Education Session. This very informative session will review information about female health, sexually transmitted infections, what to expect during a well-woman exam and review various birth control methods to find which method might be right for you. You will also schedule an appointment with a UHS clinician (which may be later the same day or a different day). During this appointment you may have a pelvic exam and screening for STIs and/or a pap smear. You and the clinician will discuss which option is best for you. 

    A: "I just need a renewal on my current birth control prescription." If you have been seeing another gynecology provider for female care and have been on birth control (pills, patch, ring, shot) before, please call 859-323-2778 to schedule an appointment with a clinician. If you have had a GYN exam within the last year, please bring a copy of your medical records to your appointment, including lab work and pap smear results if this was done. The clinician will review your history and records with you and decide if any additional examination is needed. If your last exam was more than a year ago, please schedule an appointment for an annual exam. 

    Q: How do I schedule an appointment for a pap smear?

    A: If you have never had a GYN exam, please call 859-323-2778 and first schedule an appointment for a Sexual Health Education Session. This very informative session will review information about female health, sexually transmitted infections, what to expect during a GYN exam and birth control options (if this is something you are interested in). You will also schedule an appointment with a UHS clinician for your GYN exam (which may be later the same day or a different day). 

    If you have already had a GYN, please call 859-323-2778 to schedule your annual appointment. You will not need to attend the Sexual Health Education Session again. 

  • Pharmacy

    Q: What do I need to bring with me to get a prescription filled?

    A: When getting your prescription filled, always bring your:

    • Student ID. 
    • Insurance card. 
    • Prescription benefit card (if your insurance carrier provides one).
    • Prescription paper or old bottle if it's a refill.

    Q: Can my clinician from home call in a prescription to the UHS Pharmacy?

    A: Yes, but you will not have the benefit of any possible UHS discounted rate. The Kentucky Clinic and UHS pharmacies will fill a student's prescription written by a non-UK clinician one time only. Then the prescription must be written by a UK (or UHS) clinician, or the student can take the prescription to a non-UK pharmacy. 

    Q: How do I get birth control?

    A: Students can call 859-323-APPT (2778) to schedule an appointment in the UHS Women's Health Clinic. Birth control pills, the birth control patch (Ortho Evra®), the vaginal ring (NuvaRing®) and the birth control shot (Depo Provera®) are available by prescription in the University Health Service and Kentucky Clinic pharmacies. Students receive a discounted price if the prescription is written by a UHS clinician. 

    Q: How much does it cost for contraceptives?

    A: Most contraceptives prescribed by University Health Service clinicians can be purchased at the UHS Pharmacy or (Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy) at a student discount. The Pharmacy is able to offer some oral contraceptives for as a low as $10 per pack. Students should check with their insurance company and verify what their insurance company covers for birth control. Some contraceptives may be free under certain health insurance plans. 

    Q: Does the UHS Pharmacy have Plan B?

    A: Yes, and at a discounted rate. Females or their male partner, who are 17 years or older, may pick up Plan B at the UHS Pharmacy without a prescription. 

    Q: Where can I go to get a prescription filled on the weekends or when the UHS Pharmacy is closed?

    A: The Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy located on the first floor of the Kentucky Clinic, just inside the Limestone entrance has the following hours:

    7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday-Friday:
    9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday:
    1-5 p.m. on Sunday
    Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy phone: 859-323-5855

  • Student Health Plan

    Q: What is the difference between the mandatory Health Fee and the UK Student Health Plan (SHP)?

    A: UK offers a two-part health care system: 

    Health Fee: Full-time students pay a mandatory Health Fee via their student bill which entitles them to most services at UHS at no cost. See the covered services for students page for more information. 

    UK Student Health Plan (SHP): UK offers a health insurance plan customized to meet the year-round needs of UK students.  SHP includes coverage for services not included in the Health Fee, like lab tests, x-rays, MRIs, surgery, emergency care, and medication. See the  UK Student Health Plan (SHP) section for details. 

    Q: What does the UK Student Health Plan (SHP) cover?

    A: UK offers a “gold metal level” health plan, customized by the school to provide students with the medical coverage they need beyond the Health Fee. See the UK Student Health Plan (SHP) section for details. 

    Q: Since I have to pay the Health Fee, do I need the health plan?

    A: Yes. The Health Fee and the care provided by UHS are not intended to replace a health plan. A Health plan is strongly recommended for care that may be needed beyond the services provided by the Health Fee, for example most diagnostic testing (for example, laboratory tests, X-rays, MRIs), hospitalization, surgery, and prescription medications. 

    Q: What female Contraceptives are covered under the UK Student Health Plan (SHP)?

    A: The list is detailed under Contraceptives Expanded Offering 2016 (PDF, 159 KB).

    Q: Will my parent's insurance cover me while I am attending UK?

    A: To learn how your parent’s plan can provide the medical care you may need beyond the services covered by your Health Fee, contact your insurance company's customer service department by calling the phone number on the back of your ID card.

    You should know:

    • Does your plan include coverage for non-emergent medical care in the Lexington area?
    • Which hospitals and urgent care centers are in-network in the Lexington area?
    • How much is your deductible in the Lexington area?
    • What co-pays or coinsurance payments are you responsible for in the Lexington area?
    • Which pharmacies are available to you in the Lexington area?
    • Does your plan have a referral requirement?
    • Does your plan require you to be seen only by a designated Primary Care Physician?

    Always carry a copy of your insurance ID card. 

    Remember, UK offers a “gold metal level” health plan, customized by the school to provide students with the year-round medical coverage they need beyond the Health Fee. See the UK Student Health Plan (SHP) section to compare SHP to your current coverage.  

    Q: Will UHS bill my outside insurance company?

    A: UHS can only bill the UK Student Health Plan (SHP) or UK HMO dependents for services not covered by the Health Fee; it does not have the ability to bill private insurance companies. Ask your insurance company for details on filing claims.