The Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel & Pastoral Care
Architect rendering, entrance to the Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel
View The Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel & Pastoral Care Fact Sheet (PDF, 162 KB)
See what's new at UK HealthCare
The non-denominational Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel is conveniently located on the Ground Floor of the new Pavilion A, just off the hallway between the atrium lobby and the UK Chandler Emergency Department. The chapel offers a tastefully designed, serene setting for prayer and meditation. It provides a sanctuary for those seeking comfort, supporting the spiritual and emotional needs of patients, families, visitors, and staff.
The unique features that make this chapel special include:
- Commissioned art glass throughout that was created by British artist John Reyntiens conveys the sense of hope and inspiration of springtime in Kentucky. The uplifting theme was selected by UK alumna and philanthropist Myra Leigh Tobin. The art glass is showcased at the chapel vestibule and altar and in the walls and doors. Natural lighting filters through the altar piece during the day; after dark, the glass is artificially illuminated.
- Subtle interior finishes of carpet, fabric wall coverings and use of wood provide a soothing setting for contemplation and worship.
- Movable seating can be configured to meet the needs of large and small groups, as well as for the services held every Sunday at 10 a.m. A camera system provides for live broadcast of these and other services to patient rooms throughout the hospital.
- A meditation room with comfortable seating provides for smaller groups and consultation with users of the chapel.
- The chapel never closes, recognizing the importance of responding to visitor needs at any time.
UK HealthCare's Pastoral Care offices are located immediately across from the chapel. This provides easy access for patients, visitors and staff. The office includes space for visiting clergy and church members to gather and confer with the pastoral care staff.
To contact Pastoral Care at UK HealthCare, call 859-323-5301. To find out more about the new pavilion at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, call 1-800-333-8874 or visit ukhealthcare.uky.edu/new.