Research Community Membership and Eligibility
Who is eligible for membership?
- Full-time UK faculty from any college or department engaged in peer-reviewed, cancer-related research, whether aligned with one of the established Markey Cancer Center-designated research programs or working in developing cancer research related areas.
- Full-time clinical faculty from any discipline who provide leadership in developing and implementing new clinical studies and/or translational research initiatives designed to advance the understanding and treatment of cancer are also eligible for membership.
- Faculty at Markey Cancer Center, Norton Healthcare, or Markey affiliate hospitals who express interest in Markey research activities.
A faculty member may request consideration for membership at any time. Interested individuals should complete and submit the online form. Please note: as part of the online submission, you will need to upload or enter the following items:
- Your area of clinical or research interest - 200 words maximum.
- Resources (such as cell lines, equipment, technologies, etc.) that you would be willing to make available to other MCC faculty.
- The number of patients you have enrolled into cancer-related clinical trials within the past year (if applicable)
- A one to two page letter addressed to B. Mark Evers, MD, Director, Markey Cancer Center. The letter should summarize your cancer-related research interests and current activities. The link to cancer should be clearly stated. If you are currently collaborating with other cancer investigators, please summarize the collaborations.
- Your current NIH-style biosketch.
Questions about the application process should be addressed to Nathan Vanderford. Applications are reviewed by the Markey Cancer Center Membership Committee, as well as the program leaders for those programs most likely to benefit from a prospective member’s involvement. Regular meetings of the Membership Committee occur quarterly. The Membership Committee makes recommendations to the Director's Council.
Duration, Review and Renewal of Membership
Membership in the Markey Cancer Center Research Community is intended to remain in effect as long as the designated member remains actively engaged in cancer-related research and is contributing to the overall success of the Center and its associated programs.
Membership status will be reviewed annually by the Membership Committee. This requires submission of an updated curriculum vitae or NIH formatted biosketch, along with an updated summary of activities related to the MCC.
Recommendations for any adjustments in programmatic alignment or categorical assignment of membership will be forwarded to the Director's Council for final approval.