Biostatistics Shared Resource Facility
Biostatistics Shared Resource Facility is a cancer center-managed shared
resource that plays a key collaborative role in providing scientific and
statistical input across the entire spectrum of cancer research being performed
at the Markey Cancer Center (MCC). The mission of the BSRF is to apply
statistical principles to enhance conduct of scientific research through
collaborative interactions with MCC members. To this end, our primary goal is
to provide a comprehensive, centralized, and accessible biostatistics support
infrastructure staffed with high-level statistical expertise to support all
phase of cancer studies: development, implementation, and post-study analyses.
The Specific Aims of the BSRF are to:
Aim 1: Provide investigators with biostatistical expertise in
study planning and design of laboratory, preclinical/animal, translational, bioinformatics,
clinical and population-based studies.
Aim 2: Provide
support during study conduct, including interim monitoring of studies to assess
any potential adaptations in study design and/or sample size, safety/toxicity
and efficacy monitoring, interim reporting for quality control and data
Aim 3: Apply
state-of-the-art statistical methodologies for data analysis and interpretation
of results for abstract and manuscript preparations.
Aim 4: Provide
specialized expertise in data management and analysis of large and complex
cancer registry and other population-based databases to facilitate utility in
the conduct of research.
Aim 5: Interact
with the MCC Clinical Research and Data Management (CRDM) SRF to ensure
development and conduct of high-quality clinical studies.
Aim 6: Collaborate
with the Cancer Research Informatics SRF in the development of database
applications for accurate, timely and secure data collection and data sharing.
Aim 7: Interact
with other MCC SRFs to ensure seamless provision of research support to MCC
Aim 8: Participate
in training and teaching activities of the MCC.
Aim 9: Develop
or adapt biostatistical analytical methods to better address important research
questions arising from collaborations with cancer center members.
Prioritization of Services
- Level 1: Collaboration with MCC members with cancer-related, peer-reviewed studies with BSRF funding.
- Level 2: MCC investigators preparing cancer-related, peer-reviewed grant applications with proposed BSRF funding.
- Level 3: MCC pilot/feasibility projects.
- Level 4: Data analysis, manuscript preparations of MCC investigators with BSRF statisticians as co-authors.
- Level 5: MCC investigators developing non-peer reviewed studies (such as IITs with industry support) with request for BSRF funding.
- Level 6: Unfunded cancer research projects that require limited statistical input.