Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Resource Facility (BB SRF)
Director: Heidi L. Weiss, PhD
The Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Resource Facility (BB SRF) is a cancer center-managed shared resource that plays a key collaborative role in providing scientific and statistical input across the entire spectrum of cancer research being performed
at the Markey Cancer Center (MCC). The mission of the BB SRF is to apply statistical principles to enhance the execution of scientific research through collaborative interactions with MCC members. To this end, our primary goal is to provide a comprehensive, centralized, and accessible biostatistics and bioinformatics support
infrastructure to support all phases of cancer studies, including study development, implementation, and post-study analyses.
Request BB SRF Services
The BB SRF now uses an online program called iLab to manage service requests and billing. To start using BB SRF services, click the link below, which will take you to a landing page with more detailed instructions, including a one-time account setup. Once
your account is set up, iLab will enable you to place BB SRF service requests, provide the required approvals, and monitor the progress of your project.
Click here for an iLab Overview.
- Study design, power, and sample size calculations for grant applications on preclinical, translational studies, clinical trials, and population-based interventions.
- Clinical trials development and conduct.
- Statistical analysis, including interim and final analysis.
- Statistical programming for data quality control.
- MCC teaching/mentoring/general statistical consult.
Bioinformatics Component (Technical Directors: Chi Wang, PhD, and Jinze Liu, PhD)
- Microarray data processing and analysis.
- Next generation sequencing data processing and analysis.
- Metabolomics data processing and analysis.
- Genomic data mining.
- Soft-omics integration.
- Grant writing, training and consultation.
Prioritization of services
- Level 1: Collaboration with MCC members with cancer-related, peer-reviewed studies with BB SRF funding.
- Level 2: MCC investigators preparing cancer-related, peer-reviewed grant applications with proposed BB SRF funding.
- Level 3: MCC pilot/feasibility projects.
- Level 4: Data analysis, manuscript preparations of MCC investigators with BB SRF statisticians as co-authors.
- Level 5: MCC investigators developing non-peer reviewed studies (such as IITs with industry support) with request for BB SRF funding.
- Level 6: Unfunded cancer research projects that require limited statistical input.
Investigators are required to acknowledge the Markey Cancer Center Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Resource Facility (MCC BB SRF) in any publications that result from the use of biostatistics, bioinformatics or information received through the MCC BB SRF. For your convenience, you are
welcome to use the following statement:
The research was supported by the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared
Resource Facility of the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center