Public Spaces in Pavilion A
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital
View Public Spaces in Pavilion A, UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital Fact Sheet (PDF, 197 KB) »
The light-filled atrium lobby offers plenty of comfortable seating as well as art and a soothing water feature (architect rendering).
See what's new at UK HealthCare
From the moment you enter the natural light-filled lobby atrium of the new Pavilion A from either the Ground Floor main entrance or from the Floor 1 concourse, it's apparent that a great deal of thought was given to creating welcoming, convenient
public spaces that reflect the art and beauty of Kentucky.
Some of the public features of Pavilion A are:
- Atrium Lobby - Use of glass, wood and natural finishes bring elements of nature indoors. Comfortable seating areas allow visitors to rest and have quiet conversation. Staff at the information desk greet visitors and help direct them to their destinations. Public walkways connect to other UK Chandler
Hospital pavilions as well as to the UK Chandler Emergency
- Gingko sculpture - The focal point of the lobby atrium is a stainless steel and mesh fabric sculpture suspended beneath a three-story skylight. The integral parts of artist Warren Seelig's commissioned work represent the collaborative nature of health care. The piece was donated by the James
F. Hardymon Family Foundation.
- Water feature - Artistic use of water sets a tranquil tone and offers a soothing oasis. This feature was donated by Sarah Healy in memory of her husband, Jerry.
- Courtyard - A lush garden setting provides intimate seating areas and benches built into the natural limestone wall.
- Auditorium - A 305-seat auditorium serves as a medical education center as well as a recording-quality acoustical setting for performing arts.
- Courtyard Café - This convenient dining area features assorted beverages, pastries, soups, salads, sandwiches and a variety of premade items. Open Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. (subject to change).
- Chapel - The Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel, open 24 hours a day, offers a beautiful, serene place to pray, meditate or simply spend some quiet time. The chapel is located just off the lobby atrium on the walkway to the UK Chandler Emergency Department. The offices of Pastoral Care are across the hall.
First Floor Concourse
- Concourse Bridge - The covered bridge crosses South Limestone, providing a pedestrian walkway (with golf cart transportation if needed) between the UK Chandler Hospital Parking Garage and Pavilion A.
- Surgery Waiting - Families and visitors have convenient access to this area with seating for 200 (double the size of the previous waiting area). Located just past the concourse bridge, this thoughtfully designed area provides varying degrees of privacy and
opportunities for people to sit together. It is also home to the work of artists with a Kentucky connection.
- Health Education Center - The Don and Cathy Jacobs Health Education Center replaces the previous Health Information Library. The center serves as a central source for health-related information and patient education materials and programs. There are
computers, printers, video viewing areas and free Internet service. The space also is a gallery for UK's Kentucky folk art exhibit. Open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Gift Shop - The Pavilion A Chandler Auxiliary Gift Shop features Kentucky artisan merchandise and other specialty gifts along with essential items such as sundries, flowers, periodicals, candy, greeting cards and more. Open Monday - Saturday,
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Sundays, 1 - 5 p.m. (The Pavilion H Gift Shop is also open these hours.)
- "Celebrate Kentucky" - A wall of photography is always changing through slow dissolves on video monitors. Familiar Kentucky images and expressions represent faces, landscapes and words of comfort and hope.
- Terrace Café - This kiosk offers food and beverages to go, including coffee, cold drinks, pastries, snacks and a variety of premade salads and sandwiches. Open Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. (subject to change).
- Terrace - Located next to the Terrace Café, this outdoor retreat has ample seating and a great view of the courtyard on the Ground Floor below.
To find out more about the new pavilion at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, call 1-800-333-8874 or visit