Meet Dr. Amit Patel
What is a facial plastic surgeon?
A facial plastic surgeon specializes in performing cosmetic and reconstructive surgery on the face, head and neck area. They are commonly board certified in otolaryngology head and neck surgery as well as facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. Most elective facial plastic procedures in the United States are performed by facial plastic surgeons. Their concentration on the study of the complex anatomy of the head and neck region provides facial plastic surgeons with a strong background to treat patients desiring cosmetic reconstructive surgery of the face.
Education and training
Dr. Amit Patel specializes in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is double board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery.
After receiving his degree from the University of Louisville School of Medicine, he completed a residency in otolaryngology/ head and neck surgery at the University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago. Following this, Dr. Patel completed a fellowship in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery in Indianapolis. He has a specialized interest in cosmetic facial rejuvenation, lip augmentation, rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery), nasal reconstruction after traumatic injuries and facial reconstruction after skin cancer removal.
Before joining UK HealthCare, he was a volunteer faculty member at Indiana University’s Department of Otolaryngology. View Dr. Patel's profile >
Peer reviewed publications
- Toriumi DM, Patel AB, DeRosa J. Correcting the short nose in revision rhinoplasty. Facial Plas Surg Clin North Am 2006; 14:343-355.
- Dayan S, Lertsburapa K, Patel AB. Influence of botulinum toxin A injection in the practice management of facial plastic surgery. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2007; 9:211-212.
- Dayan S, Lertsburapa K, Patel AB. Influence of botulinum toxin A injection in the practice management of facial plastic surgery. Haut 2007; 5:218.
- Thomas JR, Lee AS, Patel AB. Brow-Lift: Subgaleal vs subperiosteal flap adherence in the rabbit model. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2007; 9:101-105.
- Perkins SW, Patel AB. Endonasal suture techniques in tip rhinoplasty. Facial Plas Surg Clin North Am 2009; 17:41-54.
- Perkins SW, Patel AB. Extended SMAS rhytidectomy: a graded approach. Facial Plas Surg Clin North Am 2009; Vol 17: 575-587.
- Dayan SH, Arkins JP, Patel AB, Gal TJ. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled health outcomes survey of the effect of botulinum toxin type a injections on quality of life and self esteem. Dermatol Surg. 2010 Dec;36 Suppl 4:2088-97.
- Patel AB, Hamilton GS. Injectable fillers. In: Surgical Atlas of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, First Edition. Toriumi DM, Hamilton GS, Derosa J (Eds.)
- Dayan SH, Greene RM, Patel AB. Perioperative considerations in surgical management of the neck. In: Aesthetic Rejuvenation: A Regional Approach. Hirsh R, Sadick N, Cohen JL. (Eds.)
- Perkins SW, Patel AB. Primary Endonasal Rhinoplasty: double-dome technique via intercartilaginous dome-delivery. Master Techniques in Rhinoplasty. Azizzadeh B, Murphy MR, Johnson CM, Numa W (Eds.)